Monday, March 29, 2010

Chess Puzzle

It's been a long time since I posted a chess puzzle. I ran across this interesting position today:



Obviously, White has multiple ways to mate; however, can you find the mate in 3? There are two ways to do it, depending on Black's move.

Interestingly, I plugged this position into Rybka 3 (1 CPU) and let it run for 15 minutes. The best it could find was mate in 4. The free RobboLito and Stockfish engines found the solution instantly, so you might want to consider these engines as an alternative for endgame analyses.

6 comments:

  1. Just thought I'd mention that this is driving me insane. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could give you a hint, if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No! My ego demands a pure discovery. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All right, after some hints from Matt, I believe this is it:

    1) e8=B Kxf6
    2) g8=R Ke6
    3) Rg6 mate

    or

    1) e8=B Kxd6
    2) c8=R Ke6
    3) Rc6 mate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, that is the right answer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had seen this before. I plugged it into my computer running Glaurung and it found it immediately as well.

    ReplyDelete